Skip to main content

4th Year Reflections : Week One

During the first week I have accomplished the following :

After a week of research, I have established a rough concept for the final film, including which visual medium I'd like to use - a mixture of 2D and 3D. I have based the core idea of the film around the ghaf tree, the national tree of the U.A.E that is surrounded with folklore and mystery. These trees look dead, but are actually living, and live for hundreds of years. I would like to explore the connection with the past and present by combining two narratives that surround this central piece.

Researched setting and storytelling methods in films, books, and music videos
- Began reading 'The Arabian Nights'
- Watched Disney's Aladdin and began reading 'the making of' book
- Compiled YouTube Playlist : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxEfVpqUt-NBdI_7HcEJwnh3KoBbFSWDm
- Looked at 'Freej' and 'Emara', two U.A.E. animated series

Brainstormed character designs using a variety of visual inspirations (scan in)
-Worked with traditional garments of Emirati women as well as modern modest street fashion

Gathered a playlist of music I think would work well for the film, in order for the sound designer/musician to understand the vibe I want to portray
- https://open.spotify.com/user/evabadeva/playlist/7icgLF7zkNiR2RSiDurhyU?si=IPnIGAl2Rd-6-R29FHET4A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10x10x18

For this year's 10x10 project I focussed more on visual development and animation rather than narrative and story, like I did last year. I came in to the project with the clear aim of improving my 3D animation skills, but along the way I also developed my motion graphics and After Effects skills. ECA-Stanistreet-01 from ECA Animation on Vimeo . For the first day I followed a Lynda tutorial in the morning in order to refresh myself on how to use Maya. In the afternoon I chose to create a simple motion based on the lessons I had learnt with the flour sack rig I used in the tutorials. However, I do not feel that this one was a particularly strong piece as the animation feels clunky and rough. For the next day I decided to go back and watch another tutorial and animate to it as I went along. ECA-Stanistreet-02-Harbourne-01 from ECA Animation on Vimeo . Day 2 had unexpected problems as I had completed two films for this day - I completed a Maya animation by following a ...

Two Characters and a Setting Project

Brainstorm and notes on how two characters could interact within a setting To begin this project I prepared several ideas on a sheet of paper to help brainstorm how I could tackle it. I started looking a how the two characters could interact with each other and what they could be before looking at the setting, as the two characters would indicate the setting they would be in (e.g. spaceman + alien = space/alien planet) I then made 3 sentences which described 3 ideas which I thought would be the most interesting to animate. I then prepared two ideas for the pitch- the Swan story and the Plant story. Both started out very basic, and it took some time to think about what the actual stories would be. I knew I wanted to work with Maya so I thought it would be best to keep the character designs and animation movements simple as leave time to design and rig the characters/backgrounds, as I would be learning as I went along. It also would allow me to make the movements seem mor...

Animated Reality Project

For the final project for the semester we were briefed to create a documentary-styled animation taking inspiration from reality, such as a real life location. My coursemate Kieran and I created what I consider my most polished piece yet- a 3 and a half minute digital 2D animation created from the idea of the childhood hold and memories in which they hold. (My annotated brief sheet) After the brief we sat down and discussed what we would base our documentary on. We wrote out a few ideas before we settled on our original theme: 'lies parents tell you when you are a child'. We both thought that this would be an interesting topic, and in order to get more truthful or open interviewees we decided to only interview friends and those that were comfortable with sharing their childhood memories, rather than attempting to interview strangers. Later we found out that this was a good idea, as we were able to get permission to use our recorded footage a lot easier than othe...