Skip to main content

Walk Cycle Project

I was familiar with how the Walk Cycle works within animation before I joined this course, but had forgotten it over the last year, so this project was useful to refresh my memory on it. I was used to the idea of using keyframes to create the person's movement, so I decided to challenge myself and use multiple methods of animation to experiment with and create walk cycles. Initially, I made a stop-motion armature walk towards a door with a partner, just before filming took place for the World in a Room project. This allowed me to get used to using the facility and equipment, and also learn how to move the armature's joints and feet. Though I didn't particularly enjoy the process due to its slow and tedious nature, I was glad that I was able to have a go with the armature and add some footage to this project.


From there I then created a similar walk cycle, albeit one that could be looped, with the use of Maya. As I had intended to have my character walk in the World in a Room project, I first created a general repeatable walk cycle so that I could reuse it if need be. Much like with 2D animation, I created the key poses with the use of keyframes, but thanks to the convenience of automatic in-betweening, there was very little need to create many more movements, with the exception of slight adjustments and details such as the movement of the hands and eyes.



Once satisfied with the general walk cycle, I was able to alter it and add a stopping animation for the project. I also had to figure out how to make the character's footsteps seem realistic and not sliding around on the floor, which originally happened as I only had 2 keyframes to move it from A to B. I figured out that moving him on every keyframe in line with his footsteps was the solution to this problem, therefore giving a much more realistic sense of movement.



Finally, I returned to traditional 2D animation during the Animated Reality project. As a warm up before actually creating digital animation, I created a simple walk cycle on paper using similar techniques of copying keyframes as I did in Maya. As I had not used 2D animation in a while, I was not used to creating smooth clean singular lines for the body and shapes so therefore I was able to practice to a good enough standard before moving onto the character animation for the project.

Overall I found this optional project a very useful opportunity to experiment with different methods as well as catch up on the technical aspects that I felt I had been left behind on due to the fact I was not present for First Year, therefore building my confidence to create more complicated character animation for my films. I enjoyed having the chance to refresh my memory whilst trying something new and I feel that it taught me the importance of using keyframes in 3D Digital and 2D animation before in-betweening, allowing me to save time by creating more correct frames instead of having to go over and redo older ones that didn't work proportionately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10x10x18

For this year's 10x10 project I focussed more on visual development and animation rather than narrative and story, like I did last year. I came in to the project with the clear aim of improving my 3D animation skills, but along the way I also developed my motion graphics and After Effects skills. ECA-Stanistreet-01 from ECA Animation on Vimeo . For the first day I followed a Lynda tutorial in the morning in order to refresh myself on how to use Maya. In the afternoon I chose to create a simple motion based on the lessons I had learnt with the flour sack rig I used in the tutorials. However, I do not feel that this one was a particularly strong piece as the animation feels clunky and rough. For the next day I decided to go back and watch another tutorial and animate to it as I went along. ECA-Stanistreet-02-Harbourne-01 from ECA Animation on Vimeo . Day 2 had unexpected problems as I had completed two films for this day - I completed a Maya animation by following a ...

Two Characters and a Setting Project

Brainstorm and notes on how two characters could interact within a setting To begin this project I prepared several ideas on a sheet of paper to help brainstorm how I could tackle it. I started looking a how the two characters could interact with each other and what they could be before looking at the setting, as the two characters would indicate the setting they would be in (e.g. spaceman + alien = space/alien planet) I then made 3 sentences which described 3 ideas which I thought would be the most interesting to animate. I then prepared two ideas for the pitch- the Swan story and the Plant story. Both started out very basic, and it took some time to think about what the actual stories would be. I knew I wanted to work with Maya so I thought it would be best to keep the character designs and animation movements simple as leave time to design and rig the characters/backgrounds, as I would be learning as I went along. It also would allow me to make the movements seem mor...

Animated Reality Project

For the final project for the semester we were briefed to create a documentary-styled animation taking inspiration from reality, such as a real life location. My coursemate Kieran and I created what I consider my most polished piece yet- a 3 and a half minute digital 2D animation created from the idea of the childhood hold and memories in which they hold. (My annotated brief sheet) After the brief we sat down and discussed what we would base our documentary on. We wrote out a few ideas before we settled on our original theme: 'lies parents tell you when you are a child'. We both thought that this would be an interesting topic, and in order to get more truthful or open interviewees we decided to only interview friends and those that were comfortable with sharing their childhood memories, rather than attempting to interview strangers. Later we found out that this was a good idea, as we were able to get permission to use our recorded footage a lot easier than othe...